June 18, 2009

Format large HDD as FAT32 for your PS3 or DVD

Do you have a PS3 or DVD/Bluray player on which you'd like to use your external USB HDD, but it's capacity (160GB, 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 1TB, whatever) results in the drive being formatted in NTFS, and therefore your console or disc player can't read it?

You have to format it in FAT32 so your Playstation or DVD can read it, but as you probably noticed already, you can't do this in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

But you can simply grab a free utility, like EASEUS Partition Manager, format the external USB HDD to FAT32 and you're good to go! :)

2 comments:

Computer said...

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 laptop which has a SATA hard drive. It failed and I am going to replace it with a fresh new hard drive. I can buy a 500gb drive and this is the description of the new hard drive "New 500GB 5400RPM 8MB 2.5" SATA Notebook Hard Drive PS3" My question is I notice the PS3 in the description and I know it means Play Station and am concerned that this hard drive is only for Play Stations. Will this hard drive install into my hard drive bay and can I simply put my restoration disks in and restore the laptop to it's original state. Do I have to reformat it or should I be able to install the hard drive and boot to the disk and restore the new hard disk from the restoration disk. Please help. Thank You.

JG said...

I don't think the PS3 is related. This is just a matter of how the drive is formatted. It may be pre-formatted using FAT32 and then you'll have no issues. However, if your PS3 or DVD can't recognize the hard drive, you can follow the above procedure to format your external HDD and make it usable with your Playstation or DVD player.